Who’s who in health

Audiologist – Associate specialist in hearing problems.

Audiometrician – Member of school health team who visits schools and assists in audiology clinics to check and review children’s hearing.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) – A multidisciplinary team of psychiatrists, therapists and others who specialise in helping children with mental health issues.

Children’s Community Nursing Team – Works from the Musgrove Park Hospital (Taunton,),Yeovil Hospital and Royal United Bath Hospital providing nursing care and support to children who require support to remain at home.

Clinical Child Psychologists – Diagnose, assess and treat emotional and behavioural problems and may offer counselling for families in difficulty.

Clinical Geneticist – Specialist concerned with identification of genetic disorders.

Community Dentists – Dentists with experience of treating patients with additional needs. May also make home visits when appropriate.

Community Mental Health Workers – Community-based service to help children with emotional or mental health issues. Can work with children and families at home or in school. Will refer on to specialist CAMHS if appropriate.

Community Paediatricians/ Child Health Doctors – May see children in the community or at Hospital.

Community Services Pharmacist – Has responsibility for ensuring that pharmacy services are provided to community healthcare units.

Consultants – Doctors with specialist qualifications in a particular area of medicine or surgery.

Consultant Community Paediatricians – Have a special interest in developmental and learning difficulties and co-ordinate the care of children with these problems.

Consultant in Rehabilitative Medicine – Specialist with knowledge in artificial limbs, specialist seating, wheelchairs and environmental control systems.

General Practitioners (GPs) – Family doctors.

Health Visitors – Provide support advice and information to families who have children under 5 years old, which includes child development. Know about local services and support applications for childcare inclusion funding, adaptations to your home, respite care, etc.

Incontinence Nurse – Nurses specialising in bowel and bladder function.

Key Worker – Named person with responsibility to help everyone supporting the family to work well together and to focus on family priorities.

Occupational Therapists (OTs) – Help children develop everyday skills, such as feeding themselves, getting dressed and playing.

Orthotist – Qualified to design and fit ‘orthosis’ (surgical appliances such as braces, callipers, etc.)

Orthoptist – Specialists that investigate, diagnose and treat defects of binocular vision and abnormalities.

Ophthalmologist – Doctors who specialise in disorders of the eye.

Orthopaedic Surgeon – Doctors specialising in disorders of bones and joints.

Paediatric Liaison Health Visitors – Health visitors based at Hospitals who are children’s nurse-trained and have specialist knowledge of children’s conditions.

Paediatricians – Doctors who have specialist qualifications in all aspects of children’s health and development.

Palliative Care Team – Health professionals specialising in the control of symptoms where curative treatments are not possible.

Physiotherapists – Help with children’s movement skills and physical mobility.

Psychiatrists – Doctors with specialist qualifications in diagnosing and treating people with mental health problems.

School Nurses – Work in both special and mainstream schools alongside the school doctor, and are responsible for routine health checks and giving healthcare advice and support.

Speech and Language Therapists – Diagnose and treat problems of understanding, communicating and speaking and can also help with swallowing and eating difficulties.