Many parent carer’s of children with additional needs and disabilities often feel isolated and alone. Support groups provide a brilliant opportunity for parent carer’s to support each other (peer support). Support groups can also provide access to information about services, resources and strategies through shared parental knowledge and visiting practitioners.
Although the forum has established several support groups, like most support groups they are run by parent’s carer’s of children with additional needs. We also work with many other local groups who cater for parents who live in the same area whose children might have a variety of different disabilities or the same conditions to promote a network of support.
Somerset Parent Carer Forum want to establish good links to enable us to gain feedback from a wide range of parent carer’s throughout the whole of Somerset.
We aim to achieve this by helping to set up and facilitate support groups for the SEND community throughout Somerset.
We aim to offer as little or as much support as you need. We are aware this may change as you go through the process of setting up and establishing your group.
What we can offer:
Independent affiliated groups and umbrella groups:
- Support to existing groups that are established
- Support to individuals or groups that wish to set up a parent carer support group.
- Provide a network for support groups to work together, share information, this includes bi-annually meetings hosted by Somerset Parent Carer Forum.
- A package of resources and templates for your group to use and adapt to suit your individual group needs.
- An opportunity for your group to feed back to the forum which will then be shared directly with Somerset County Council, Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group, the Department for Education, Contact a Family and the National Network of Parent Carer Forums. This information will help to shape local services and feedback will be given directly to providers when appropriate.
- Recommend speakers
- Access to our lending Library
- Advertise your group and provide a link for any literature.
Umbrella groups only (those who come under SPCF including Finding Your Way groups)
- Offer public liability and professional indemnity insurance (Terms and conditions apply).
- Help to complete risk assessments.
- Help arrange speakers.
- Our budget manager will work with you to try to help you locate funding if required.
- Help to find a venue to host your group
- Leaflets and information from various agencies including Contact a Family
If you are interested please contact us.